Monday, December 10, 2012

Piper Turns Four and Monday Morning Printable



Today is Piper's 4th birthday! This Monday Morning Printable is dedicated to her. It is a Victor Hugo quote from Les Mis, as was last week's. I think I am going to do a Les Mis quote every week until the movie comes out, there are just so many good quotes to share.

This quote is appropriate to post on Piper's birthday because of all she has taught me about life, and love, and God. This girl has reshaped me, just by being a in my life. She changed who I am by becoming part of me. She has been grafted into my heart, and my joy and sorrows are in conjunction with hers.

I have been reading Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry this week. It is the fictional autobiography of a 20th century woman. On Thursday I read the portion of the book where she describes her children moving away. I cried as I read the following:

"To be the mother of a grown-up child means that you don't have a child anymore, and that is sad. When the grown-up child leaves home, that is sadder.... I felt [their departures] as amputations. Something I needed was missing. Sometimes, even now, when I come into the house and it sounds empty, before I think I will wonder, 'Where are they?'"

I cried as I read this because, while Piper hasn't grown up and left home yet, it is coming. And it is coming fast. I remember when Piper was an infant, her turning four seemed so far away. But it wasn't. The time has flown by and now she is four. Pretty soon she will be 18, and she will be gone.

So, while I wish I could slow time down, I am left with nothing to do except savor the time we have together. I am so excited to see Piper be four. I am excited for all the things she will learn, all the games she will play, all the songs she will sing. The amount of thankfulness I feel to share in this part of her life is unspeakable. There is nothing in the world I would rather do than be this girl's mama. Happy birthday, Piper Lynn!
Coming home from the hospital.
Enjoying cupcakes on her 1st birthday.
Being sung "Happy Birthday" when she turned 2.
Jammie time on her 3rd birthday.

Being very excited to take her own picture on her 4th birthday.

1 comment:

  1. You're an amazing mom Emily! This is such a touching blog. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete